About Me

My Photo
Amongst other things, this is a love story.... the theme changes occasionally... this year it is fitness and learning to love yourself.

28 April 2013

Y is for Yield. Healing with words. Day 25. #atozchallenge.

yield |yēld|verbproduce or provide • produce or deliver (a result or gain) generate  give way to arguments, demands, or pressure : relinquish possession of (something); give (something) up • cease to argue about • allow another the right to speak in a debate • give right of way to other traffic.• give way under force or pressure nounthe full amount of an agricultural or industrial product DERIVATIVESyielder noun (usu. in sense 1)


I had to choose my own Y word because there isn't one in the deck. I like the word youthful but I recently started a relationship with the word yield after I read a post last month from Writercize, on the A to Z blogging challenge page.

It was an alphabet challenge of a different variety, using the 26 letters of the alphabet consecutively to create a story that makes sense.

This was my very poor in comparison to others, attempt:


A bothersome child didn't empty Father George's holy Italian jar. Knowing luck manifests nicely on prayer. Quietly, requesting solemnity, tactfully undo vexation with Xavier, yeilding zilch.

It even included the spelling mistake.  In my mind it meant that the priest was annoyed, but had faith that the boy would learn so he didn't succumb to his frustration.  Later that day I saw the word yield in a sentence that made sense. I looked it up and discovered more.

In short it means to either produce, or to give in to.  Which got me thinking about that yielding can be yielding, or in order to yield we must yield.

Perhaps I should have just stuck to youthful.  I've always wondered why people worry about ageing, the closest I have come to knowing what it feels like - is the exact opposite. I have only ever yearned to be older.  Maybe it comes from only being 5 foot tall.

As a child I was 7 going on 70.  I counselled adults with relationship problems, attitudes about themselves and the people around them. As a teenager, I longed to be older so I could wear what I wanted and not feel pressured to conform to fashions trends.  As a young woman, I desired acknowledgment, which only seems to come with experience and rarely for insight.  Now I have my heart set on wearing comfortable old lady shoes, all the time.

I don't want to be young again I plan to yield to the laws of nature and marvel at things like new chin hairs as blooming buds in spring, Yield a youthful spirit by playing with children, listening to young people and celebrating passing years with people older than me. 

I yield to ageing and yield youthful  

If yield was in my deck of cards, I am sure it would only come up at times that I needed to be more like grass, blow around in the wind, get mowed down, keep growing and spread some new seeds. A yielded yielder.

Thanks Google images yield quotes search

 Can you use the 26 letters of the alphabet consecutively to create a story that makes sense?

***

Find out how I chose my theme by reading my intro blog A-Z challenge list. Words of change.  You are welcome to add more words to the list in the comments - that I'll link back to you.










29 comments :

  1. A blogger can dream. Each fertile gesture holds infinite joy. Keeping love moving needs only persistence. Quality revision sometimes takes unusual variations when xanthippe yawns zap.

    Nope. It doesn't make sense. But, I wanted to try anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great Susan...and with a bit of poetic licence is sage advice and makes perfect sense it's hard without using pronouns and prepositions etc ... Xanthippe is a brilliant word, I learnt it from Zoe who just happens to have posted underneath you... xo

      Delete
  2. This took longer than I thought...I basically means that Coppernicus who thought the sun was the center of our universe came after Democritus who devised a theory of universal atomic energy that was then thought to be total bupkus. Meanwhile a theory of scientific truth without religion had also arisin via Xenophanes(represented by the word Zen...cuz what else was there? Dont ask how I know of these guys...I have a ridiculous capacity for trivia.)It doesnt make a ton of sense Im afraid.

    As before Coppernicus, Democritus evolved figures galactical heralding infinite Juju, knowing likely men newly opinionated, passed quiet regard. Silently telling universal veracity whilst Xenophanes yelled “Zen!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe you are brilliant, I want some infinite juju... even without your explanation it is clear your knowledge is vast = i think the original challenge allowed you to Dr Suess up the language a bit.

      Delete
  3. Good morning. Just got your comment on the Yummy post. Thanks! I came back to say that it was nice to see your comments again. I missed you when you were away. Oh and I will be 50 this year and happy to give you a reason for 8/18 juju. Hope your day is filled with infinite JuJu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be your youthfulness that had me thinking you were younger, nevertheless joining you in the lead up to 50 is as good a place as I can think of to get started :)

      Delete

  4. In order to yield, we must yield...

    Hmm... nice.

    Reminds me of "Let go and let God." like the AA-folks say.

    Good post.

    Now I'm off to write my ABC story.

    :)

    Uttley
    http://www.uttleystake.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you come back and share it with us. - Let go and Let Be is more my style, but either way it's a powerful understanding. Thanks Meester Uttley

      Delete
  5. O my stars I yield to the brilliance already given! Great post Ida, welcome back and blow catastrophe down, endlessly, forever, gee hey, I just know lightning must never on people querying stars, temples, universe, voice, windmills, xrays, ... no I'm stuck ... will try again ..
    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a second to understand why lightning must never on people, before I realised why your comment starting wandering towards windmills before I realised the sheer brilliance of it :)

      Delete
    2. I'm laughing Ida thank you! Tottering towards windmills and blowing cats down enough for great hugs indeed.

      Delete
  6. I'm back! By the sweat of my brain, I made three a-to-z stories:

    http://uttleystake.com/2013/04/29/can-you-make-an-a-to-z-story/

    Very fun,
    Uttley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were right that was fun... and brilliant

      Delete
  7. I have never wanted to say young, either. Each year gets better and better and I feel more and more myself, why would I want to go back? To me, youthfulness means a lack of wisdom (though you sounded pretty wise at 7!) and a lot of foolish mistakes. Good things to learn from, but not repeat.

    I like the way you got yield and youthful both in the same post. Sometime when I've got more brainpower (!), I'll attach the alphabet in a sentence idea. A fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youthful does have a ring of immaturity about it, but I tend to lean more towards the ability to see things as new, or share the wonder of each new experience so we don't rob ourselves of the joys of ageing :)

      Delete
  8. A very nice post on a very nice thing to do (for peace's sake). I yield to the challenges of blogging from A to Z! Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can agree that yielding to the challenge has been yielded more than I could have imagined

      Delete
  9. I love this - especially since I've felt rather morose about morality of late :P But yes, I definitely feel more lucid the older I get, so will take it that ageing also brings experienced wisdom that no amount of learning/studying will give you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the other hand I know plenty of older people that aren't any wiser than they day they stopped learning or studying...

      Delete
  10. I used Yield for my Y post, too, because as you've figured out, it is a contronym with opposite meanings. :-) I think wearing comfortable old lady shoes will be my absolute favorite part of growing older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn, I went on a wild goose chase looking for your blog (which I eventually found after I posted this) because when I figured out it was a word that has it's own opposite meaning I couldn't remember the name for those type of words - even though I have been reading and enjoying a lot of your posts on contronyms... the best definition I could find was homonym and I knew that wasn't right... I'm off to check your post now...

      Delete
  11. Enjoy being young. It is a special time of life and it goes by so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still young, according to all the old people I know, and very much enjoying myself. I think it's also important to enjoy ageing, instead of dreading or fearing it, like so many people seem to do.

      Delete
  12. I heard about a survey of elderly people, who said that by and large their sixties were their favorite decade, and then their seventies and eighties. Age might physically slow most people down, but it brings wisdom and experience with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing it's because most people retire in their 60's. If we break our life down into thirds one will will be the best one will be the worst, and one will be ok or somewhere in the middle. I would like to think my last third will be the best :)

      Delete
  13. Great post as usual! Ida, I'm so glad to have met you! I think you're a wonderful person, and a great blogger, and for these reasons I have nominated you for the Sunshine Award!
    Please stop by my blog for all the details. :D
    http://vashtiqvega.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vashti, I said everything on your post. Thanks so much, considering we didn't meet through the A-Z challenge it feels like an extra special honour - I'll be working on it soon.

      Delete
  14. Another post I somehow missed, thanks a lot Maria. Let me know when you try it, I would love to read what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Something of a contradictory word, when you look at the definition.

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy