About Me

My Photo
Amongst other things, this is a love story.... the theme changes occasionally... this year it is fitness and learning to love yourself.

19 April 2013

Q is for "Quote...Unquote". Healing with words. Day 17. #atozchallenge


quote |kwōt|verb [ trans. ]repeat or copy out (a group of words from a text or speech)

Whether they originate from ancient philosophers or the latest celebrity, we like to use quotes to confirm and give credibility to our beliefs and values. Quotes have inspired people to take action, make changes create new perceptions or quieten the chatter of busy minds. After I publish this I am sure I will think of many, many more I could have shared. Here are a few that jumped out at me from one time or another.   

"You don't have to suffer continual chaos in order to grow" - John C Lilly 


"Some people walk in the rain. Others just get wet." - Roger Miller


"A crisis event often explodes the illusions that anchor our lives" - Robert Veninga

"Live as you will have wished to have lived when you are dying" - Gellert 


"I wish I drank more champagne" - John Maynard Keyes 


"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows, select only things that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable, originality is non existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Goddard said: "it's not where you take things from- It's where you take them to." Jim Jarmusch


Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar. Bradley Miller


"Life is not a struggle it's a wiggle" - Peter McWilliams in An alphabetical guide to transcendental meditation... 


“In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life:  It goes on.” – Robert Frost


I used to doodle lots of star, at about the age of 8 I drew one and wrote Me in the centre. In the points I wrote the letters I R M H I, can you guess what they stood for? I hope you enjoy my selection of quotes.  Let me know what your favourites are. (these or your own)



***

Find out how I chose my theme by reading the intro blog A-Z challenge list. Words of change.  Please add more words to the list in the comments - and with gratitude, I'll link your words back to you.


34 comments :

  1. I am a collector of quotes! I have a whole book full of ones that have caught my attention from time to time - rarely do I read a good book that I don't jot a quote down from!

    You are thinking of "The Jane Austen Book Club". I thought it was an ok film, but I read Austen very differently than most people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was an ok film too, but I loved that it was based around Jane Austen books, and it made me think I need to read more. I imagine your thesis would have been fascinating. I have always wished I was organised enough to keep a record of every quote that ever spoke to me, but I do jot or dashboard them every so often...

      Delete
  2. Love the quote about the child and the caterpillar, and, of course, the writing quote.

    I find quotes highly inspirational. Here's one of my favorites, which is on my blog.
    “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” - Pablo Picasso.


    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the little caterpillar crawled her way in moments before I pressed published, it always reminds me of my parents. Next I feel dusty I'm going to thank you and Pablo now for inspiring me to create art instead...

      Delete
  3. I'm doing quotations for Q too. I bet a lot of bloggers are... I love inspiration through words. You have some good ones listed above--not the run-of-the-mill quotes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you are right Sherilee , for me quote choices are like 20 questions, where the questions reveal more about the person asking than the person answering, 'll check your blog now :)

      Delete
  4. Some great quotes! I really like the one about stealing from other places, although I'm not sure copyright laws would agree. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that one too, of course there is a touch of 'that's not entirely the right attitude' about it, but I didn't write it and inspiration is not stealing - the key is authenticity and I find it helpful to remember that if I can think it, someone, sometime, somewhere has thought it too...

      Delete

  5. I'm very glad to have read these quotes.
    I like the Robert Veninga one best. I have lived it.
    And the Jarmusch one - how liberating and inspiring!

    Cheers,
    Uttley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Uttley, I have never heard the message of the R.Veninga's quote expressed as simply or powerfully anywhere else before, living thru it is a gift... and both quotes in the Jarmusch one make me smile and feel the same way :)

      Delete
  6. I wasnt going to do the bloggy thing this am but Im glad I did. The quote about chaos helped this AM. Woke to intense situation and things are chaos in Massachusetts...I gotta say doing this has helped to separate a bit and calm.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, I'm glad you did too... I love both the crisis quotes I think they belong together. I love how a quote can help. I hope your intense situation (and your city's) is handled with calm and yields good results.

      Delete
  7. I really loved the Flannery O'Connor and the Robert Frost quotes! Those really spoke to me. And of course, that caterpillar one really cracked me up! Great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexa. Your reaction cracks me up, I love that these words spoke to you. Life goes could possibly be the truest words ever spoken.

      Delete
  8. I don't recognize any of the quotes you listed, though several are quite good. I don't tend to you use quotes much, think that's because I don't remember them. Often I'll read one and think...wow, that's really good, I should remember that; but don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to have one or two that are current and relevant for me that seem to keep popping up until the next one comes along. They are easily forgotten, but also easily remembered for me.

      Delete
  9. I'm dying to know what you wrote in the points. Also, I love so many of the quotes you have here. John Maynard Keyes has my vote for the top today though. It's Friday! Great post. Jennifer a.k.a. Urban Gyspy Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I drank more champagne, was probably the first quote I ever memorised :) I'll answer your question tomorrow. Thanks Jennifer.

      Delete
  10. Good idea but I can't steal. It goes against everything I stand for: Original and creative--new and as unique as possible. I agree that most everything has been done in one form or another, but we have to search our hearts and speak about what we find pasted on the wall.
    That being said, I love to read quotes and have e-sticky notes and regular sticky notes with quotes all over my computer. Great post Ida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, and I wish I could take out one line of his quote... and I will always give credit, whether I am just inspired or use someone's idea's. I like to think his meaning is the same as your description about speaking from our hearts even if we are afraid that's it's been done before.

      Delete
  11. Oo, good one today, Ida! I love that Flannery O'Connor quote. That's me. Writing helps me understand myself so much more!

    SiouxsiesMusings

    #AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, that was a new one I found recently that hit a spot for me too. Your writing helps me understand myself more too :)

      Delete
  12. I also love quotes, so thanks a lot, nice Q.
    #atozchallenge
    maggie at expat brazil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie, I thought it took a bit of effort until I saw your mammoth effort for Q - well done

      Delete
    2. You're a sweetie, thanks a lot.

      Delete
  13. All of them are so great Ida thank you for sharing! I have a note book in which I keep quotes, and a file on my computer where I transcribe them.
    I like this one from The Talmud: We do not see things as they are; we see them as we are.
    I'm trying to figure out your letters: I rest my happy imagination? Quo Vadis?

    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great quote, everything is perception. You've got the first three words right - I'll let you know tomorrow. I think I have finally worked out that Quo Vardis means - where are you going...

      Delete
  14. Sometimes we need quotes to remind us of things too. :P I see so many quotes floating out there on the interwebs. :) Thanks for keeping it real. I especially liked this one "Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination."

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that quote floating around for a few years now, and I wish it didn't suggest stealing without credits, but I focus on the inspiration side of it, and more on the taking it from nature than other people, we each get out of it what we will :)

      Delete
  15. I've just discovered your Blog (via "Me") and I'm really enjoying it. Stealing your Jim Jarmusch quote!
    A month of Blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing is caring, stealing, well thats just criminal - share away - I'm glad you're enjoying yourself

      Delete
  16. When I was looking at the theme of revenge (a big theme in my manuscript), I came across quite a lot of Count of Monte Cristo quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back up checked if I used any Count quotes, now I have to head to google... I'm going for unrequited love as a theme in mine

      Delete

Enjoy