About Me

My Photo
Amongst other things, this is a love story.... the theme changes occasionally... this year it is fitness and learning to love yourself.

6 April 2013

F is for freedom - A-Z Challenge - Words of Change. Day 6


freedom |ˈfrēdəm| 
noun
the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.

Of all the stories I thought of today, one about an old lady that lived in a dementia ward keeps coming up - so I'll try to make it work - and just for a bit of fun, I'll try and use an F word in every sentence.

Florence was a 96 year old, fine featured polite lady.  She was on no medication, not even a vitamin or pain killer - this is rare amongst the feeble. At first glance it was hard to understand why she was being admitted to the dementia ward, her body was able and she appeared mentally stable. 

She was a suffragette, worked in factories, and an award winning artist. She still appreciated great works of art, but failed to recognised them as her own. She had Alzheimer's disease and had become a danger to herself, she got lost checking her mail and nearly died in a kitchen fire. For over 30 years she refused to leave home or give into the limitations of her disease. Her fox like ability to answer questions with questions, gave her the independence she desired. Her family, with best intentions, had to fool her into submission, and just this once, they hoped it was something she would forget.

A dementia ward is a safe place, all doors are fastened. The staff to resident ratio could be better, but most are designed to feel like a home. If you've never been to a dementia ward, or are suddenly forced to live in one, it can be frightful. Adults with child like minds, that never get smarter, forget their manners and where to put faeces. Florence was very afraid. The first few days she graciously asked to go home, and every night she would wait by the door, ready to be picked up or let out. After a week she became frantic, whenever a guest came to visit, she asked, begged and pleaded "please help me escape, I want to be free"

Florence eventually found freedom in safety, by smashing the little glass window that says 'BREAK IN CASE OF EMERGENCY'.  A state of the art security system was no match for Florence.  The sirens wailed, and all the doors and gates automatically unlocked. While staff tried to find the source of the flames Florence, the fearless, escaped to find freedom.

We finally found Florence outside taking a rest and waiting for...something she couldn't remember. She agreed to come 'home' because she was freezing. We requested more staff so we could focus on her movements - but that was never going to happen. The solution was an automatic sliding door to a fenced in courtyard, which meant she (and the other residents) had access to the outside world, with out needing to ask for permission. Yes, she was trapped by her failing cognition but her legacy includes, first-place for freedom.

***

Nelson Mandela - His Royal Highness the Majesty of Freedom deserves a mention, but for Florence, it means accepting responsibility for everything that happens in your life and letting go of all of your self imposed limitations. Allowing yourself to think, feel and say what you want, instead of what is expected. Simply, give yourself freedom to be you. 
***

Is freedom 'just another word for nothing left to lose?'  Probably, but that just means we
have nothing to worry about. 


38 comments :

  1. Your post resonates with me as I've been through grandparents suffering from dementia. It's a disease that is hard to cope when your loved ones suffer from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story resonates with me and my family too.

      Delete
  2. Incredible story Ida! I so enjoyed reading it! Freedom means everything. I'm happpy that Florence and the other residents were accomodated with accesss to the outdoors! Thanks for sharing the story; it is very meaningful and purposeful!


    Enjoy the rest of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I named her Florence because of F day, the lady she is loosely based taught me a lot, and made me happy too. This is really the first time I have tried to write about a character, I have a feeling she will come up again somewhere... Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. Freedom always reminds me of the film Braveheart.

    I'm lovin this Blog Challenge! Its rockin my face off. So many great blogs to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dementia is a cruel mistress! I like how you based your character off of someone you knew! Thanks for sharing.

    Shannon at I Survived and Now I Run

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly admire writers that can make things up from scratch, I imagine everyone/thing/experience I write about will be wholly or loosely based on something I have experienced- second hand or up close and personal :)

      Delete
  5. Just a little taste of freedom was all she needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true true - but she gained and gave much more than a taste :)

      Delete
  6. I love Florence's story, especially the solution at the end.

    With all the demands the world places on us, and that we place on ourselves sometimes, I wonder how many of us can truly be said to be free...
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways none of us ever are.... we at least have the chance to free ourselves from our own limitations... it's a personal battle for people lucky enough to live in free countries

      Delete
  7. Very inspiring story and I like how you told it in such a creative way. It may be difficult to realize how important freedom is until it's taken away.

    Dan Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan... Some people never have it and some people don't know what to do with once they have it... I am thrilled you thought my story was creative.

      Delete
  8. some of my best times in health care have been with people like Florence...I miss my old job sometimes. Nice Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally rewarding at times, but there is definitely room for improvement in the aged care - industry... I would love to see creches and aged care be in the same facility - old and young spending time together throughout the day, and families being able to spend a little more time together in general...

      Delete
  9. A lovely post Ida thank you! I also wrote about Freedom and mentioned Mr Nelson Mandela as one of our freedom fighters. And a clip on Janis Joplin's Me & Booby McGee - freedoms's just another word for nothing left to lose .
    Florence - bless her - her story was so real. How wonderful that they were able to instal a sliding door so hat Mother Nature was accessible.
    Terrific post thank you!

    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, I knew from the moment I saw your page that we were singing in the same key... Thank you for commenting - your words are very affirming, and appreciated. I have just read your well written and thoughtful post, and on top of all the similarities our posts share today, the significance of your final quote by the Danish philosopher Kierkegaard, isn't lost on this little Italian blooded Australian now living in Denmark :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Ida,

    So nice to meet you! This was an awesome story! Good for Florence ... A rebel, even at her age... She fought for women' rights decades ago and now she's fighting for her own!

    Rhanks for dropping by my blog. I hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael I don't really know how I got your blog, but I a'm glad I did... the womens rights she fought for were a century ago now :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Ida, great post! Freedom is a wonderful 'F' word, and without freedom, there is little to enjoy. Kudos on this post, it offers great insight into human behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raymond, It was an attempt at something new for me, the story wouldn't leave me along. I honour your kudos.

      Delete
  12. What an exceptional story. Thank you for finding me, so I could find you. I FIND that your story (at the header) is quite exceptional too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure farawayeyes, and thank you too

      Delete
  13. What an incredible woman! I hope to be as crafty if I should be lucky enough to live to such an age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to smash one of those glass covers. I hope I never have to... :)

      Delete
  14. I'm a student mental health nurse and did a general nursing placement as part of my training. The ward I was based on was acute elderly care and I was lucky enough to be placed in the bay with 4 amazing ladies with varying states of dementia.

    I learnt a lot!

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kit Courtney. Thank you. Learning is the greatest reward of all. I just now noticed on your blog your D for Dementia post... I'll check it out.

      Delete
  15. That's kinda sad about Florence, but at least her escape changed things and made her and the other patients' lives better.
    Pretty good job putting an F in every sentence! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kinda sad, dementia is hard to deal with but there is room for joy. Putting an F word in every sentence had me saying the F word a few times but it was a fun mini challenge :)

      Delete
  16. That is a fear I have, of not having control of my life as an elderly, mentally, physically or otherwise. Nice story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fear many people have, I keep telling my parents not to be afraid... I can handle any diagnosis or symptom that comes there way, but I hate it when either one of them is scared. I would be more a afraid if I was a funambulist.. (or however you spell it - that was a great post)

      Delete
  17. Greetings Ida,

    I shall do my utmost to practice brevity in my comment. Although Florence might be considered 'trapped' in her mind, she continued to have the voice of determination within that understood the value of freedom.

    I know the day I nearly died in hospital, I actually had a 'near-life experience'. For in the moments I nearly left, for the first time in years, I actually felt alive. I walked out of the hospital a free man.

    Peace be with you, my friend. Thank you for your enlightening usage of the "F" word.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings in return Dear Klahanie,

      If you continue to enlighten with me with delightful words and images like near-life experiences, brevity is not necessary, because I would gladly wallow in your words if you waffled on and on too.

      I love how she saw a sign with simple instructions, her emergency was needing freedom, the sign said break in case of emergency - and she was free - even if just for a few moments, the memory I have is forever.

      Thanks you Gary I'm glad you made it back to earth and here... once again you made me smile :)

      Delete
  18. Nelson Mandela is synonymous with the concept of freedom! In my country, the concept is still a sensitive topic!
    Just a thought: Is freedom mental, physical or psychological? A combination?


    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Undoubtedly a combination. It depends on what the hindrance or restraint is, for some people (or countries) it's all of those things, for others it's just one.

      Delete
  19. Very creatively phrased, Ida.

    The only dementia case in my family was an aunt... who passed away of cancer before the Alzheimers could really set in on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like first place for freedom, which I know I would never have come up with if I wasn't trying to find f words. I hope your Aunt died peacefully, dementia really is terrifying for so many people...

      Delete

Enjoy